Thursday, June 24, 2010

Feed the Needy


On Thursday, Azrin and I joined his cousin, Azmina for a charity work. I love doing charity work, because it really opened my eyes and make me feel really grateful with what I have.

This time, we feed the homeless. At first, I didnt understand how this works. Do we give food to random homeless?Does the homeless go somewhere for food?How do we know if someone is homeless or not?

We reached this house where all voluteers gather before going to feed the homeless. There was like a lorry/van filled with food. How this works is all of us go to 2 places in KL, and start distributing food to homeless.





First stop, behind Tune's Hotel, KL. When we reached there, there was already a group of hungry-looking people, so I thought "This must be the homeless" but, some people were carrying handbags, wearing normal, not dirty looking clothes

Me : *whisper to Azrin* Is she homeless?Shes carrying a handbag
Azrin : Maybe someone gave it to her.
Me : SHE'S CARRYING A SHOPPING BAG!
Azrin : Oh.

As soon as the lorry with food came, they were all running and rushing towards it. However, they did queue up nicely (ethics that some people even with mansions and bungalows doesnt have.shame on you). All volunteers work quickly to distribute food and drinks and snacks. I got a bit teary when I looked over and see some ate as if they had not eaten for days. These people are usually people with HIVs, maybe ex-prisoners, where they cant be accepted by society and very difficult for them to find a job, let alone put a roof above their head.

Second stop, Near Pudu. The crowd there was massive. I think there was about 200 people, and we only had about 150 packets of food left.

Me : That lady is definitely not a homeless.
Azrin : Why?
Me : She's wearing a fabulous blue dress with matching earings and stilettos.
Azrin : Hihihhihihi.

But fabulous-lady-in-blue still took a packet of food.

At one point all the food was finished, we only had chocolates and biscuits left, so some of them who had queued for about half an hour, only received, snacks and drinks :'(

Homeless guy : Nasi tada ah?? (No rice??)
Me : Habis la uncle.. (Uncle, its finished)
H.G : *dissapointed*
Me : *nudged Azrin* Should we bring them to McD?We could get them fillet and fries (there was a McD across from where we were)
Azrin : I don't think we're suppose to do that
Me : but they're hungry.

It was a pretty tiring night but it felt good to do something good. It definitely made me appreciate food more now.Like if I don't finish my food, I will force it down Azrin's throat.heh.

Oh, Im officially a VOLUNTEER!



I really hope there are more oppurtunities for me to do any sorts of charity work.Espiacially now that I'm on holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment