Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Balik Kampung

Ah yes, got my blogging momentum back on. Realised that I havn't blog about my trip back to Kedah.

I'm blessed because I have two kampung with two different environment. Dad's from Muar, Johor and Mom's from Jeniang, Kedah. Dad was from a more modern village, whereas Mom was from a real kampung, as in wooden house, surrounded by all sorts of trees, and the house is even by a river. Mom and Dad was sort of the city boy, meets village girl.heh.

Many of my friends think that I am a spoilt girl who would die in a jungle. I mean, if I have a choice, of course I would pick The Four Seasons, duh, but a couple of pacats and kerengga is nothing.

Alright, maybe carrying around insect repellent doesnt kill.

Eh, think of all the diseases insects could give ok! Malaria, dengue, it kills.heh.

So after not going back to Kedah for what seems like 30 years, we all went back for a cousin's wedding.

30 years ago, it would take 10 hours from KL. 10 years ago, it would take about 5 plus hours but now 3 hours ish and we're there. What used to be dark, bumpy, curvy road, is now all highway. Talk about development! or maybe Dad's been driving crazier than usual.


What happens when people hav'nt seen people in ages? Weepy, Jejak Kasih moments, of course. It's about time our pakciks and makciks have fb huh? Or imagine a lady BBM-ing her friends while tapping rubber.Super cool!

This big gathering this time is particularly special, because my relatives from Indonesia came down to celebrate with us. The last time I met them was when I was still in Primary school, when we went there for a wedding. Particularly love their outfit. Black, very slimming. Genius!



I got a teeny bit dissapointed with the wedding. I mean, I drove freaking 4 hours for the full village wedding experience right? I remembered back than, whenever there was a wedding, ladies from around the village would come by from the night before with a knife (scary ladies, I tell you) to help cook for the wedding. So one person will be in charge of onions, some will be boiling eggs, some were just there to find out who the neighbour just got married to. This time around, I found out that the wedding was catered. Say what?..and I was prepared with the kain batik.pfft.

What ever happened to tradition??Sobs.

Wedding was, however, just lovely. Food was delicious. Very intimate, and very very hot wedding (as in the sun hot).



At night, we had a little cake-cutting ceremony, with just us families. Bride and groom were in traditional Indonesian outfit, to be in touch with their heritage.


The next day, went for the ceremony at the groom's house. Was a pretty quick one, because you know how I was pushing Mom and Dad head back to KL fast due to the mad traffic.






No comments:

Post a Comment